Apr 6, 2010

Wildflower Walk Saturday, April 17th at 11am on Bernal Hill

Raindate: Saturday April 17th, 11 AM

If you're in the Bay Area you should join me this Sunday for a nature walk on Bernal Hill. I'll be walking and talking about flowers and landscapes. A few flower species have already gone from Bernal (star lily and most shooting stars) but there is plenty yet to see. We'll be looking at lupines, blue eyed grass, blue dicks, early yarrow, poppies, doug iris, tom cat clover and more.

Kids are welcome and I'll try to keep the first part of the walk on stroller friendly turf. Dogs on leash welcome.

We'll meet at the water fountain by the South Gate. If you're wondering where that's at, check out this map.

I'm doing this walk in collaboration with the flora friendly folk of Succulence, a new plant shop in Bernal. They'll be providing snacks in their amazing garden afterward so plan to stop in there if you can. Succulence is at 402 Cortland, behind my favorite video store, 4Star. They've got some CUTE plants and are getting equipped with canning supplies, seeds, and jams.

We'll be looking for birds too. I suddenly find I'm a bird nerd ... I used to be so confused by bird freaks but then I met a couple of rad twitchers on my master's course. I don't know how it happened but I am suddenly obsessed with birds, leading me to purchase two bird guides from a used bookstore by the Oakland courthouse yesterday. These days I carry my crappy binocs when I'm dog walking. Bernal's fantastic for red tailed hawks and kestrels. I also see a lot of hummingbirds on the northeast side. 

Here are a few enticing pics I took at Bernal today.
Alligator lizard (Elgaria coerula) Thanks for the confirmation, Karin!

 Cal buttercup (Ranunculus californica) with unknown larva, possibly a cabbage white per Karin (thanks!).

Checkerbloom (Sidalcea malvaeflora)
Italian rye grass (Lolium multiflorum) Not native but you can see here that it's flowering. You cannot discern the tiny purple flowers but we'll take a look on the walk. I dig grass.

?? Cal Brome (Bromus carinatus ssp. carinatus) I think. Also flowering. Brilliant yellow florets are striking agains this red grass. I love it.

Goldfields (Lasthenia californica) and yellow bush lupine (Lupinus arboreus)

No comments: