Feb 2, 2009

Whoa, Snow!

We've got some serious snow in London. I just went for a 2 hour walk with my housemates and the snow just keeps coming. I loved the walk and the view out my window is amazing. I don't see myself going to central London for lectures in the coming days if it stays like this. There are no trains! No buses down here in SE London. And I'm not taking my skinny-tired road bike out in this. I'm certain I'd crash. For now it's neighborhood walks and computer studies! And watching the frisky cats goof around in the snow. And watching Dash the dog accumulate snowballs on his fur. They look like high fashion tassels really. I'll try to get a good pic. These are goofy pooches from Peckham Rye Park.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Pantalone said...

I heard the figure of 6 inches... is this true? If so, why would 6 inches of snow bring one of the most efficient cities to a halt? I'm amazed, but I'm also from Pittsburgh.

rachel kesel said...

Yeah, 6 or 7 inches. As someone who has no snow experience, I thought it was perfectly reasonable for the city to stop for a day. in fact, i haven't left my neighborhood yet and am missing a lecture on lake restoration as i type. unfortunately, my buses are still pretty screwed and i couldn't justify the travel time to get to the lecture. i also couldn't get inspired to ride my bike. i'm just toooooo klutzy to snow ride. and when i get out tonight it's going to be dark and cold again. i don't want to be squashed by a double decker. but i'm leaving soon for the next lecture, having enjoyed another long walk in my local park.

ruchi aka arduous said...

Wow, your school is hardcore. They cancelled classes at mine for two days!!

rachel kesel said...

wow ruchi, i'm jealous. our libraries closed early yesterday but we did have lectures, though one guest lecturer canceled.
i hear we might be finished with the snow. as the novelty has worn off, i'm stoked to think we aren't getting a foot on friday as some folks were sayin'.

Free-iMac said...

we had alot of snow to near bristol, got a few days off work aswell :D

http://www.yours4free.co.uk