Sep 5, 2008

Gratuitous Pix of Homeless Pumpkin

She's so darn cute it's crazy. I've been in touch with Ridgeback Rescue but I don't know if they'll be able to help. They say they don't have any foster homes right now and since Pumpkin's clearly a mix, I don't know how much effort they'll want to contribute. But I'm hopeful at the moment.

Somehow I accidentally deleted a comment from Lisa in San Francisco. I thought I hit publish but it didn't show up, dial up is no fun. (But I'm at the library right now so big pix of Pumpkin!). Lisa offered to do a drive and meet for Pumpkin. I'm going to email her back personally, but will also respond here.

I've given Pumpkin a name and put her face out there for folks to see. But there are dogs in Cali who Lisa and the other awesome folks who've offered to fly Pumpkin can help. In the time it will take to get Pumpkin to California, perhaps two or three dogs could be helped in Cali. I hope I don't sound weird here. Obviously I want Pumpkin to find a home, but we can't save them all, so it seems wise to save the ones near us. Finally, I cannot drive toward California. I'm stretched pretty thin getting ready to move and finding a dog a home has been a tough addition to the long list of things I need to do for myself. It sounds so selfish, but I really am trying here. She's been the first thing I work on daily.


Clare K. R. Miller said...

Oh, stop teasing me with these beautiful pictures! I'm sorry, Pumpkin, but between distance (I'm in Philly), allergies, and already having six pets, I cannot love you! I hope Pumpkin does manage to find a local home. Too bad I don't know anyone in the area.

Anonymous said...

I did a google search for Atlanta and "no-kill" shelters and there seem to be quite a few. Maybe you want to check that out.

rachel said...

I've been in touch with quite a few rescues and shelters, to no avail as of yet. There are laws about how you can surrender a dog in Georgia (she's a stray) and many of the groups are completely full or only take out of local animal control. Some are county specific. I've done a lot of leg work on this and am still waiting to hear back from Ridgeback Rescue, which I think is her best bet at the moment. Someone keeps removing my posts on Craigslist, though I am clearly not selling a dog and do ask for a fee for her adoption. I dunno, trying pretty hard.