Dec 9, 2007

stupid broken cell phone (i want an iphone)

Geeze, my cellphone broke again! I got a (new) used phone off craigslist in June, and last week it stopped ringing. Today it kept shutting off randomly. So I'm gonna be needin' a new phone, again.

Can I live without one? No. I house sit over 100 days a year at 6-10 different spots. It's impossible to keep up with my clients, friends, and family without my phone.

As my ipod needs a new battery (after 4 years), I'm totally into the thought of getting a both a new phone and a new ipod... in one. Aaauuugggghhhhh!!!!! I've got it bad! I was hanging out with my awesome clients, Miles and Tam, and they both have iphones. They let me play with them and gave me a tantalizing demo of the gadget's capabilities.

Yesterday was my birthday and while talking to my mom, I mentioned that I want a new phone, specifically one that costs way tooooooo much money. She offered to pay for most of it, making this even more tough to turn down.

Even after watching The Story of Stuff, I'm tempted! Really, the number one thing keeping me from buying the darn thing is the fact that I could break a $400 phone, turning it into a $400 piece of toxic trash very quickly.

Nonetheless, I have to replace this phone. I'm at a loss as to what route to take with that as my last few choices have backfired. Oh what to do? Always learning, always learning.

13 comments:

Evan said...

Perhaps a refurbished iphone? They don't have any listed yet, but they've got the category set up to do so here.

Jaime said...

It's not an iphone, but I have an old (not-too-old) Cingular (ATT) phone that I don't use any more. Works fine. I think it's Motorola. For the cost of shipping (I'm in NY) it can be yours.

Grace @ Rose Cottage Lane said...

My husband has an iPhone and LOVES it. He's even said when the new more powerful ones come out in a few months (they access the internet differently) that I get his old one. We actually save $20 a month on our phone service now that we have the iPhone instead of his Blackberry.

Anonymous said...

I feel that there are times when you just have to make an exception. I just replaced an older phone with a new one and will most likely keep it for five or more years. Just put your efforts into reducing waste in other areas and spread the word!

bam said...

email me if you want a motorola razr. (verizon) sarahbam at gmail

freddie said...

there are services available to help repair and refurbish your ipod and iphone...

http://store.ifixipodsfast.com/index.php

www.eforcity.com
www.iPodbattery.com
www.ipodjuice.com

Good Luck!

Val said...

I just got a used "unlocked" phone from a friend and it has worked great so far. It is kind of a process, but I bought something recycled, and it was 1/6th of the cost of getting a new one.

Just an idea.

(PS I had a razr and ran it through the wash, and dryer. It worked for a day, and then the battery blew when I tried to recharge it. All in all, they are impressive little phones.)

Val

ck-dex said...

This comment isn't really in the spirit of your post, but I just dumped my iPhone in a bowl of soup today, and they charge $249 for a replacement. I guess this also means that there should be one refurbished iPhone available soon!

rachel said...

ckdex, that's what would happen to me if i had an iphone! geeze!

talldave said...

If you are house-sitting, you aren't mobile, so then why do you need a cell phone?

Get a laptop or use the one you have. Install Gizmo Project or Skype to make phone calls. Load up all of your mp3's so that you can use it as an oversized ipod. Done.

rachel said...

uh, talldave, i am quite mobile. i house sit in many different homes and it's entirely impossible to keep up with my three jobs (all of which are self-employment, client based businesses) via client home phones. I could just see myself telling each of my clients to connect with me at these 10 numbers on random days of the month. what a nightmare. this month i've stayed in 3 houses already and will switch again soon. oh, and then there's my own house.

and sorry, but email just isn't sufficient as a communications medium for all of my clients. some folks don't like it.

as far as a laptop as an oversized ipod, are you joking? i cycle w/ my ipod. i walk with my ipod. and my laptop can't stash that much music these days. it's weighed down by my consultancy files.

all that said, i haven't bought an iphone! and i doubt i will. quite possible when they have refurbished ones.

so far i've learned to use the silent phone, tho' i miss a lotta calls.

Nickoli said...

There are cheaper phones that work as MP3 player reasonably well. I live in Europe, so what's available here will be different to over there, but have a look carefully, and you'll soon find that iPones are hugely overpriced.

RVM said...

If you have a landline at home (I know -- so weird) and your clients also have landlines, you can forward your home phone each day to the landline you will be at. So even if you are visiting your parents, you will still got all your calls!

Just an idea -- I am trying to get rid of my cell and just use SKYPE right now.... :)