Oct 24, 2007

RRFM in Dolores Park at End of Anti-War March

Saturday is the Really Really Free Market in SF! This is in solidarity with the anti-war effort, and it's also just the day and place that the market occurs. (Last Saturday of each month in Dolores Park).

I'm borrowing a bike trailer to haul a slew of plants. And I'll have Nature in the City Maps of SF's open space. I'm excited about setting up a little nursery in the park to get folks involved in their own restoration projects. I'll have guides for DIY restoration and a list of blighted sites that could use some nifty native plants to bring them back to health and neighborly utility.

A couple of posts back I was talking about how we all need to take action in ways that we feel is effective and in ways that bring us joy. I've been to a lot of marches and demos since it was apparent that we would bomb Afghanistan in September of 2001. I marched against the war in Iraq before it started, even though I naively thought there was no way the public would buy this war. Apparently, we can be sold ANYTHING.
I'm very happy for the folks and families who get something out of these demos. But I'm heartened more by signs in Bernal Heights calling people to join their neighbors in this fight, than by anything I'd see at the actual march. I have the fortunate position of being for something this Saturday, even as I'm against the war. I'm all for the free exchange of ideas, skills, and things as it presents an alternative to the paradigm that lead us into this war.

But I get to see the demo because it ends in Dolores Park. Crazy. February's market was located at Montgomery and Market during the last big convergence and loads of people dropped by RRFM who might not have seen it otherwise. It should be a receptive crowd for ecology, so I hope to get at least 10 plants into some dirt.

2 comments:

happytheman said...

Though I appreciate your website one thing that seems very difficult for me is that "The Mayflower Compact" led to the deaths of many a Native American in and around their community. I understand the reasoning behind and support "compacting" but struggle with the beginnings in the title and the advertisement (though slight) for a "Peace March".

rachel said...

I understand what you're saying and appreciate that. Of the original 10 folks, I was number 10 in signing on to the original challenge just before 2006. I didn't choose the name or necessarily identify with that meaning, but I also know that the folks who did choose the name meant it in the non-genocidal sense. I've been reluctant to change the heading, though I'm the only one who blogs here, because I really respect my friends who wrote that bit.
Again, I appreciate your sentiments.