Aug 20, 2007

Bikes Rock, Rep McHenry Should Shut Up and Take a Ride

Did ya'll read/watch the ridiculous comments of North Carolina's Rep. McHenry regarding an energy provision last week (H.R. 1498)? There's this incentive to give bicyclists who commute to work a $20/month credit.

McHenry thinks this is no solution to our energy [consumption] crisis. Nuclear energy, that's a real solution. According to McHenry, bikes are "antiquated" but this spiel has some creepy Manifest Destiny moments tied together by the 1950's progress paradigm that has led to our high impact/high consumption lifestyles.


I'm pretty familiar with North Carolina, having grown up in Georgia. I bet it's a gorgeous place to ride, particularly in the coming months of Fall. Maybe McHenry should get on a bike instead of making sarcastic speeches rife w/ partisanship and completely lacking in substance. Maybe he'd find a little inspiration in the twists and ascents of the Smokies.

Anyway, here's a bit of what he said.

“A major component of the Democrats’ energy legislation and the Democrats’ answer to our energy crisis is, hold on, wait one minute, wait one minute, it is promoting the use of the bicycle.

Oh, I cannot make this stuff up. Yes, the American people have heard this. Their answer to our fuel crisis, the crisis at the pumps, is: Ride a bike.

Democrats believe that using taxpayer funds in this bill to the tune of $1 million a year should be devoted to the principle of: “Save energy, ride a bike.”

Some might argue that depending on bicycles to solve our energy crisis is naive, perhaps ridiculous. Some might even say Congress should use this energy legislation to create new energy, bring new nuclear power plants on line, use clean coal technology, energy exploration, but no, no.

They want to tell the American people, stop driving, ride a bike. This is absolutely amazing.

Apparently, the Democrats believe that the miracle on two wheels that we know as a bicycle will end our dependence on foreign oil. I cannot make this stuff up. It is absolutely amazing.

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you the Democrats, promoting 19th century solutions to 21st century problems. If you don’t like it, ride a bike. If you don’t like the price at the pumps, ride a bike.

Stay tuned for the next big idea for the Democrats: Improving energy efficiency by the horse and buggy.”

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Ironically, when I started researching ways to cut my family's consumption my solution was ... wait a minute ... wait a minute ... a bicycle ... with a trailer so that I could haul my two children who don't yet ride independently.

I think his inability to think outside the box and to accept that some 19th Century ideas and ideals might actually work as solutions to the energy crisis - like kitchen gardens and clotheslines and woodstoves and, yes, bicycles -is just sad and short-sighted. Maybe he just doesn't want to give up his mid-life crisis red corvette.

Maybe those in a position to do something to quiet him will do so quickly ;).

tk said...

That's disgusting of him. I'm appalled. PS I'd love to go back to horse and buggy.

SavingDiva said...

While I do not have dreams of going back to the horse and buggy like tk, I do love my bike! I ride to work every day and around town. I'm not perfect and I do own a car which I use for grocery shopping and out of town trips.

I don't understand why bike riding is so horrible in this man's mind. It's a relatively easy mode of transportation. Next thing you know, he'll be putting down public transportation!