Jun 24, 2007

Shopping against Climate Change!

There's a bit of a buzz right now around the growth of the "green" products market. I read this super article on alternet last week, check it out if you haven't seen it. I'm stoked to see this discussion rolling along.

Even "green" junk is junk. It's some sort of fantasy that we can feel ok about over consumption if we just make unnecessary products as low impact as possible. I haven't seen any direct research on that idea yet, but considering that it would take 4 more Earths to bring the entire world to the US standard of living, I'm thinking we don't have the resources to give an "eco-friendly" hot tub each of the 6.7 billion people currently sharing this planet. (see E.O. Wilson's The Future of Life for the statistic, see Plenty Magazine for a green hot tub).

On a side note, since I'm taking a few months off from strict Compacting (July 1st - October 1st), I'm going to be posting about the crap I buy during that period of time. I kinda want to keep track, see if I'm falling prey to advertising/impulse buying, impatience, or whatever. I'm thinking of this (justifying!) as a way to understand my relationship to things, materialism. Will see what I can learn.

5 comments:

Ilix said...

Can't wait to see what you learn. Thanks for keeping us posted!

daharja said...

THANK GODDESS for someone pointing this out at last! You simply cannot consume your way to sustainability.

And while we're on the topic, why are the subjects of vegetarianism and composting toilets taboo when it comes to sustainability?

It seems clear to me at least that the vast majority of us need to eat veggie most of the time, and composting loos could make a huge difference to the world's water problems and sewerage problems in no time, while providing great quality fertilizer for organic farms.

Are we 'Greenies' too Green and clean to get our hands dirty, buckle down, and look at the brown stuff? And are we Green but not willing to change what we eat?

'Green when it suits me' is a good start, but it may not be enough to reach real sustainability. Until we're willing to look at all the problems, and face all solutions and implement those we need, we're just hiding our heads in the sand.

rachel said...

right on, daharja! i have a post in the works on composting toilets actually. there's a new book called "dam nation" about the evils of big dams, composting toilets are well described and promoted.
and i did see an article on commondreams.org last week that said we should all be veg. i agree w/ that for the most part. there are some spots in the world (such as the arctic) where it makes sense to eat meat as well.

JT said...

completely agree with the need to consume less. Just became a vegetarian in January and loving it. But it is true that certain corporations are trying to capitalize on the "green" movement...for example an automatic indoor composter for $489...such as at www.naturemill.com. What a waste of resources...why cant we just compost the old fashion way? and why cant we just try and use less? Great post :)

Mark Stock said...

I am keeping track of every penny I spend. money-log.blogspot.com
Great posts, and I encourage you to watch what you are paying for.