Jun 3, 2007

I need a chainsaw!

No, this isn't a prequel to the "Another Hole in the Head" Film Festival. But when I ask friends if they have a chainsaw I can use, I'm noticing distinctly fearful glances. Most of my friends don't actually have chainsaws, we're city folk, but it's fun to ask them anyway. I'm pretty tight with a subset of SF's native plant and open space stewards. But I think perhaps they're too responsible to loan me a chainsaw. Though if I mentioned that I need it to kill that cotoneaster, someone might come through.

Otherwise the backyard project is going really well! There's a big bucket on the steps so folks can swing by whenever they want for plums. I'm doing deliveries to my clients. And fellow Compactors, John and Kate, want a whole slew of plums so they can try some canning. My friend suggested we have a harvest party and get wild w/ some compote makin'. That'll be next week, I think. The tomatoes are in the ground just as SF's June Gloom begins. The persimmons and figs are a couple weeks away. About 15 gallons of plums to come. Pears and apples in the coming months, too. All that and we only planted the tomatoes!

Without the chainsaw, I'm considering axes. Again w/ the horror movie, I know. I get a lot of my inspiration from horror films. I know a lot of people hate the genre or don't get how the rest of us can love it so much. But you guys should appreciate a project I'm starting w/ Blake (roommate/dearest friend, recent graduate w/ art degree). We're launching our Shopping Hell House. With only 5 months until Halloween, it's time to spook our friends into helping us manifest this nightmare. We want to scare people out of recreational shopping based on several themes like environmental destruction, cultural implications, social justice issues, etc. We're thinking we'll model it after those wacky "hell houses" that churches set up.

Help us out w/ ideas and a decent name! If you're in SF, we're looking for collaborators and a space for this project. And chainsaws...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding tomatoes, I've grown them multiple times in the past and they are fairly easy to grow. I do recommend that as they get bigger, you stake them (found branches work great). I lost a plant once because I neglected to do so and the weight of the tomatoes made the plant fall and exposed its roots.

I wonder if you would consider bartering your figs etc. My rental unit came with an apple tree most of which go to waste as I can't eat them all. I'd be happy to trade apples for figs or whatever! (or you can even just have them). Hopefully the tree will fruit soon.

Christene said...

What are you trying to cut down? I've cut down 6" diameter trees with a bucksaw. What kind of plums are they? Japanese plums make decent wine or jam.(They are the really juicy kind).Meatier plums can be canned.
I do hope you can use or share your fruit. Every year I harvest fruit from a friend who has too much. She gets a share of the preserves, applesauce and jam I make from it. Having too much fruit is a good problem to have. Good luck with the tomatoes.

umeshsmiles said...

I liked your blog.Though my blog is on Really Funny Jokes , I have published a post on about your blog on my blog titled 'World Environment Day'.

Chile said...

Rachel, I love that you are sharing your garden space! Quit scaring your friends and neighbors, though and work with hand tools. It's surprisingly satisfying to accomplish landscaping and pruning jobs with just a saw (and a shovel if removing entire plants). When we rented a house with a fireplace for a few months, I found I loved chopping wood. It was meditative, not to mention cheaper than the gym for developing great muscles.

rachel said...

Ha, Chile, too funny. I have only been working w/ hand tools thus far. But I literally had to twist and hack the cotoneaster to death. The stump looks super scary as I had to do it w/ a dull hand axe. I don't have very many tools. This is the first problem. The second is that my right arm is a bit weakened from tendonitis, so hand saws are out of the question for me.

I only need the chainsaw once! Get rid of some stumps and take the biggest plum tree back to give the persimmon tree more light.

Chile said...

Ah, tendonitis complicates the issue. I will say that my left arm has gotten stronger over the years because of right wrist weakness. I'm sure someone will step forward with a chainsaw for ya. Do you know any landscapers? How about posting on cragislist? "Will trade fruit harvest for brief chainsaw job."

Anonymous said...

For the saw, if you have a Berkeley friend, you can use the tool-lending library with their library card (near Ashby BART...but that might be a little sketchy, bringing a saw on BART...well, at least you'd get your own seat!)

Nanette said...

I'm thinking about easing into this... and immediately I think - oh, well is there a book at the library I can get on how to not buy things? haha that's just one more thing to buy isn't it! Opening up this can of worms is absolutely insane.

Beth said...

you can usually rent hardware tools such as chainsaws from a hardware rental company. otherwise, I'm sure there is a handyman you could look up on Craigslist or in the phone book that you could barter with to cut down your tree.

Abby said...

By the way, I've got a Squeezo (for canning tomato juice/puree, applesauce, etc) and I'm moving back to Berkeley in late August. I grew up canning tons of tomatoes and other things, so as long as you can pick it up and bring it back (when we're not using it to put up local stuff for the rainy season), I'm willing to lend. Cheers!