Mar 1, 2007

Incorporating Consumption into Earth Day

If I haven't mentioned it, I'm working on a fabulous Earth Day Celebration in San Francisco's McLaren Park. I want to find a way to incorporate the issues of consumption into the event, as it's a major environmental issue. But I'm kinda stumped.

The main theme of the event is "Nature Where You Live". And I think that's perfect. We're focusing on the positive, trying to connect neighbors of an underserved park w/ the landscape around them. But I think there's a place for some discussion of consumerism among all of this.

It would be difficult to organize a Really Really Free Market at the site because it's off the beaten path. I might ask one of my fellow Compactors to come speak, but I don't know how well that will come across at this sort of event. Thoughts?

Check out the event at
http://natureinthecity.org/projects.php#McLaren

3 comments:

Christina said...

Since the theme is "Nature Where you Live", promoting local Farmer's Markets would fit in well. You could also discuss the community benefits of shopping at local stores instead of large chain super-stores. Good luck, it sounds like a great event!

rachel said...

We have a great org called Front Door Farms bringing their fruit and veg stand. This is a youth staffed farmers market with local produce. It doesn't get much better than that!

It would be great to have a round table about shopping locally. Perhaps I can get a fellow Compactor to head that up. It would be a good way to get the local merchants associations to sponsor the event too. Great community buy in.

Amber Hasselbring said...

Rachel- Yes, I'm sure the public would be interested in the Compact, and I would be so excited to witness a round table discussion of the ideology, the pros and cons and that 'toilet paper dilemma' that you mentioned at our last meeting. I would love to open our celebration up to healthy debate in the environmental area. It seems to me that we've got to do some real feeling and thinking in our life times, so why not start now. -Amber