Oct 12, 2006

Compacting Halloween

Yep, it's October and I'm still compacting. Most of us are, I think.

Halloween is one of my favorite times of year, my housemate and I go all out. We decorate, I send cards to my friends and family, and we have the coolest pumpkin carving party.

Last year I stopped buying extra decorations and simply mended what we have, same this year. I had some cards left (and plenty of confetti and stickers to spice them up). My mailing list is huge though. Because of the compact, one of my aunts brought me her left over graduation announcement cards, which she was handwriting. So it was just a blank card w/ the seal on the front. I covered those w/ pictures of last year's pumpkins, which I already had printed out.

The pumpkins might be contentious for some folks, but my family is ok w/ it. We have 7 of them. We eat all of the seeds, and keep the guts to puree for either dogs or cats who have upset tummies (wonderful source of fiber, great for my cat). And of course we compost them when it's time.

We carve on a theme. We've done peace pumpkins, carving that word in 6 different languages. Last year we did political themes. We put words into the outline of countries (peace in Iraq, hope in Afghanistan, truth in the U.S.). We also made one for marriage equality.

This year it's environmental pumpkins. 3 arrows, a bike, the Pitch In guy, a Jesus fish w/ "veg" inside, Buy Nothing 11/25, etc.

Perhaps that's my attempt to mitigate the buying of all these pumpkins :)


Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back


Isolina Caciones said...

I read abaut you today.
I don`t know any group as you in Portugal.
I´m glad, and I`going talk abaut you with may pupils.
I `ll like to knou anyone from Portugal or Brasil.

chasmyn said...

I love it! What a fabulous idea!

Anonymous said...

give me a break!

Anonymous said...

This seriously sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit. Seriously.

If this weren't for real I'd think it was hysterical - actually, I still do.

Mich said...

Have you tried making pumpkin soup? It's the BEST!

All you need is 1.25 kg (2 1/2 lb)pumpkin, 4 cups chicken stock, an onion and 1 cup cream.
Cook pumpkin and onion in chicken stock until tender. Puree, add cream and serve!